The Atlanta police officer who shot and killed a black man has officially been charge with murder.
In addition to the murder count, the ex police officer Garrett Rolfe was charged with three counts of aggravated assault and seven counts of violation of oath by an officer, all felonies. Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard announced the charges during a news conference.
On Friday 12 June, Rayshard Brooks a 27-year-old black man was fatally shot and killed by an Atlanta police officer identified as Garrett Rolfe, after the Wendy’s restaurant called 911 to report about a man sleeping in a parked vehicle in the restaurant’s drive-thru lane, causing other customers to drive around it.
Brooks death sparked outrage around the city as people who are protesting against racism and excessive force in law enforcement￼ stormed the Wendy’s restaurant on Saturday night and set it ablaze.
Brooks’ death comes just about a month ago after George Floyd’s death sparked global demonstrations that decried police brutality and racism. Floyd died after pleading for his life while a Minneapolis officer knelt on his neck for nearly nine minutes.
- Wisdom Iwu can be found writing, designing and developing all sorts of great content. A freelance writer, thinker and lifelong learner with an ongoing curiosity to learn new things. Check out his social media accounts below:
- Entertainment2020.08.14Burna Boy’s ‘Twice As Tall’ Is Album Of The Year – Diddy
- Entertainment2020.08.13See What A Nigerian Woman Said About Ronaldo That Caused Frenzy On Twitter
- Celebrity2020.08.13The Future Of Hollywood Is Right here! Keep Making Magic – Netflix Surprised Ikorodu Bois With Electronics Gift.
- News2020.08.12Terrible: Mother, Daughter and a Newborn Baby Died in Fatal Car Accident