Legendary Cameroonian striker Samuel Eto’o Fils has revealed he gave young Argentine superstar Lionel Messi a handful of advice that changed his career during their days together at the Nou Camp.
Messi has etched his name in the sands of time as probably the greatest footballer of all-time with his record-breaking achievements in Barcelona.
The 32, has surpassed virtually all records at the club, with over 627 goals in 718 appearances, winning the Champions League four times plus 10 league titles, six Spanish Cups and a host of other medals.
He’s the only footballer in history to win a record six ballon d’Or awards and European golden shoes.
However, Samuel Eto’o has claimed that Lionel Messiapparently feels indebted to him for the career-changing words of wisdom he received from him.
In an interview with DAZN, the ex-Cameroon striker said Leo confessed to him that his advice changed his career.
‘[Messi] confessed to me that, thanks to my advice, which I am not going to reveal, his career had changed,’ Eto’o told DAZN.
‘One day he said: ‘Thanks to Samuel, my career changed.
‘He had to fix two or three things but he has always had the talent.
‘I am proud and happy to see that he has written history which has yet to be finished, and it will be very difficult to beat what he has written.’
Messi and Eto’o were team-mates starting from the 2004-05 season until Eto’o’s departure for Inter Milan in 2009.
Eto’o, now 39, enjoyed five successful years at Barcelona, with his 130 goals in 199 appearances helping them win the Champions League twice as well as three LaLiga titles and one Spanish Cup.
- Law Blessing is a skilled writer with loads of experience in the field. Although a freelance Author, he's passionately involved in articles related to sports and entertainment.
- Politics2020.07.08Yul Edochie and Omokri question the appointment of a northerner as EFCC chairman
- Football2020.07.08Super Eagles striker, Onuachu tests positive for Coronavirus
- News2020.07.08Photo: Job vacancy in Dubai exempts Nigerians from applying
- World2020.07.08China gives U.S. condition to involve in trilateral arm control