The Kogi State Government under the leadership of Governor Yahaya Bello, has evacuated 78 Northern beggars inclusive of homeless and mentally challenged persons, from Lokoja, back to their respective states of origin.
The affected evacuees are from five states in the North including Zamfara, Bauchi, Kano, Kaduna, and Katsina.
Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Development in Kogi, Hajiya Fatima Buba, said the beggars were evacuated from different parts of Lokoja metropolis including Zango, Ganaja Village, Obasanjo Square among others to the ministry’s rehabilitation centre where they will be transported back to their various home states.
Buba disclosed that the evacuation exercise was not discriminatory but to rid the streets of beggars roaming Lokoja metropolis.
She noted that adequate arrangements had been made to ensure that the destitute were transported to their respective location with utmost respect and dignity.
She said, “The state government made adequate arrangements to ensure that they are transported to their respective locations with utmost respect and dignity. Before the government transported them back to their home states and local governments of origin with six buses, we took them first to the ministry rehabilitation centre, fed them and provided all the basic needs that will enable them to start a normal life like every other in the country.
“This government is committed to cater to every citizen even though you are not from Kogi State. This action of ours should not be misconstrued. The government under the leadership of Alhaji Yahaya Bello remains committed to providing for the less privilege without any form of discrimination in the state.”
- Wisdom Iwu can be found writing, designing and developing all sorts of great content. A freelance writer, thinker and lifelong learner with an ongoing curiosity to learn new things. Check out his social media accounts below:
- Celebrity2020.10.01John Legend’s Wife Chrissy Teigen Suffer Pregnancy Loss
- Celebrity2020.09.30DJ Cuppy Hit 6 Million Followers On Instagram
- Religion2020.09.30What Is Odumeje Trying To Tell Us When He Says, ‘Iam Not A Preacher Of Love’
- Celebrity2020.09.30Iam Not Attracted To Nengi Because Of Her Nyash – Laycon (Video)