Do you often find yourself worrying too much about what others think of you? Or you find it hard to speak in public because ‘you look like shit!’ Or you turn the other way when you see your crush. Then this is for you.
It’s amazing how the little things we ignore are more than enough to keep us going. The truth is that, if you feel less of yourself it’s mostly because of experiences of trauma, bullying or rejection you had.
While good self-esteem is great, building it is not. But here are a few tips that can help you begin your journey to self-confidence.
1. Use positive affirmations: Each day before you leave the house, look at yourself in the mirror and say things like, ‘I am beautiful.’ ‘I’m the best singer there can ever be.’ ‘Today is going to be a great one.’
Power lies in your tongue, use it well. And when you believe in what you say, your sense of self will go higher than expected.
2. Wear the clothes you feel comfortable in: Have you noticed that you get too conscious of yourself when you feel you’re not properly dressed? I remember sitting at a spot all day just because I felt my top was too tight!
Knowing you look good has a hack on your mind and boosts your self-confidence.
3. Focus on your strengths: ‘I’m never good at sports!’ Well then, try music.
Doing something you’re passionate about is another great hack. Try not to dwell on things you suck at. Follow your heart, it’s hardly ever wrong.
4. Check your circle of friends: if you always feel less of yourself, you might want to check who you go with.
Do they always flaunt their new human hair or car before you? Are they quick to tell you off? Do they harass or belittle you at all times?
Then, you might want to reconsider. We’re products of who and what we listen to.
5. No one is perfect, not even you: know this and know peace, no one ever gets it all right. Even the best of people made the worst mistakes!
Chide yourself when you make mistakes, but don’t let it weigh you down from moving on.
Mistakes are there for you to learn from not to give up. So silence that voice in your head.
I hope you act on at least one of these.