Many farmers find it extremely challenging to breed African Catfish. After several failed attempts without any fruitful result, some decided not to give a try anymore. But, in this article and subsequent video, you will learn 5 simple and proven steps to efficiently hatch the African Catfish.
1. Prepare the female catfish for injection. This requires selecting a gravid female (ie female with ripe eggs). And then injecting the fish with an induced hormone like the African catfish pituitary.
2. Strip the fish (ie press the eggs out of the fish). Before then, you must have isolate the injected fish in a comfortable, big bowl and wait for 10 to 12 hours. Then bring the fish out after 10 to 12 hours gently and cover the head with a clean, moist towel to begin the stripping process.
6 necessary tips for catfish farming in Nigeria (READ HERE).
3. Cut open the Male African Catfish in order to remove to remove the Milt sac (This contains the sperm). Cut the testicles or the milt sac into bits to release the sperm.
4. Use a combination of saline solution and milt from the male catfish and add gently mix them together with the eggs from the female.
5. Pour the fertilised eggs into a clean water tank and wait for the outcome. After waiting for about 3 days, you will observe the newly hatched eggs, with yolk still visible and attached to the fry.
Visit Newsblenda.com for more updates.