Argentine superstar Lionel Messi has once again kept himself at a place where only Cristiano Ronaldo can find him.
The 32-year-old forward set yet another record when he scored his 21st league goals in Barcelona’s 2-0 win over Leganes on Wednesday.
He is the only player in football history to have netted 20+ goals in each of his last twelve league seasons.
Portugal star Cristiano Ronaldo is the only player close to matching Lionel Messi’s record.
The five-time ballon d’Or winner is just one season away from reaching the record set by his rival.
Ronaldo has scored 20+ league goals in 11 out of the last 12 seasons. Not a single player is even close to Messi and Cristiano in this particular record.
Other players that are not too far from the mark includes: Bayern Munich’s Robert Lewandowski (eight seasons), Manchester City forward Sergio Aguero (seven seasons), and Barcelona striker Luis Suarez (six seasons).
Meanwhile, Messi scored his 699th career goals in the home game against Leganes (629 goals in 720 games for Barcelona and 70 goals in 138 matches for Argentina).
Out of his 629 goals for Barça, Leo has scored 440 goals in 476 La Liga appearances and 28 goals in 114 Champions League matches.
- Law Blessing is a skilled writer with loads of experience in the field. Although a freelance Author, he's passionately involved in articles related to sports and entertainment.
- Politics2020.07.08Yul Edochie and Omokri question the appointment of a northerner as EFCC chairman
- Football2020.07.08Super Eagles striker, Onuachu tests positive for Coronavirus
- News2020.07.08Photo: Job vacancy in Dubai exempts Nigerians from applying
- World2020.07.08China gives U.S. condition to involve in trilateral arm control