On Saturday, July 18, 2020, a contingent of Nigerian troops of Exercise Sahel Sanity on a mission to clear a terrorist camp in Shimfida village In Jibia Local Government Area of Katsina State, Northwest Nigeria, was ambushed and came under sniper and enemy fire.
Three young officers – a major, lieutenant and second lieutenant – alongside 17 soldiers were killed while 28 others were seriously wounded during the operation, according to multiple sources.
According the reports, the “Troops were advancing on foot when bandits began engaging them from the hill,”.
The soldiers were attacked while on advance to notorious bandit leader’s camp known as Dangote at Shimfida.
At the time of writing this, the names of the fallen heroes was not immediately released.
Katsina, the home state of President Muhammadu Buhari in northwestern Nigeria, has seen a spate of attacks by armed militants and with over 300 deaths this year alone usually by suspected bandits.
In Katsina State, over 2,000 people have been killed, 500 communities destroyed and over 33,000 people displaced, a 2020 report by the West Africa Network for Peace building said.
See Photos Below:
- Wisdom Iwu can be found writing, designing and developing all sorts of great content. A freelance writer, thinker and lifelong learner with an ongoing curiosity to learn new things. Check out his social media accounts below:
- Celebrity2020.10.01John Legend’s Wife Chrissy Teigen Suffer Pregnancy Loss
- Celebrity2020.09.30DJ Cuppy Hit 6 Million Followers On Instagram
- Religion2020.09.30What Is Odumeje Trying To Tell Us When He Says, ‘Iam Not A Preacher Of Love’
- Celebrity2020.09.30Iam Not Attracted To Nengi Because Of Her Nyash – Laycon (Video)