Obesity means being overweight with a lot of body fat. Obesity can reduce your lifespan to 3-10 years. It can lead to serious health conditions like Type 2 Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, asthma and causes greater risk like cancer and kidney disease.
The most common way of diagnosing obesity is through Body Mass Index (BMI) and if your BMI falls above 30 then you are considered obese.
Obesity negativity affects daily life in that it comes with an increased risk of chronic back pain.
Causes of obesity
• Lack of physical activities
Anyone who is always at a place or uses modern means of transportation all the time without making out time to take a walk, stroll, or exercise is at the risk of obesity. Avoid too much Television games and engage more in physical activities.
• Insufficient Sleep
Not getting enough sleep can affect hormones that will spur hunger, and this may lead to excessive eating.
• Eating without control
The more you eat excessively, the more you are at risk of obesity. Too much eating exposes your body to more calories, saturated fats, trans fat, and foods that are high in sugar.
• Family History
Obesity could be a result of gene variants in several genes that contribute to obesity Hy increasing hunger and food intake. Obesity too can result from a complex interactions among multiple genes and personal behaviors.
Effects of Obesity
• Obesity has a significant emotional effect and can lead to low self-esteem, depression, anxiety, and isolation.
• It can cause a woman to have difficulty to get pregnant and for a man to produce healthy sperm when the body is overweight.
• Obesity has a greater risk factors of disease such as:
- Type 2 Diabetes– which can damage heart diseases, stroke, kidney disease, and eye problems.
- High Blood Pressure– Can damage blood vessels and increase heart attack.
- Sleep Apnea– A sleeping disorder that doesn’t allow you breathe regularly while sleeping or even stop breathing over some time.
- Cancer– Obesity increases your risk of developing certain types of cancer. Cancer is not usually caused by one disease. In some types of cancer, some of the body cells begin to divide without stopping and spread into surrounding tissues.
- Mental health problems from stigma bring feelings of rejection, shame, and guilt.
Treatment for Obesity
• Eat more vegetables.
• Take food moderate in size, avoid eating too much food at a go.
• Always plan what you eat to avoid
• Engage in physical activities.
• Set goals that will help you eat and stay healthy.