Diarrhea is the increase in the frequency of bowel movements. It makes bowel movements watery and loose. Diarrhea can make you uncomfortable and be embarrassing too. The worst thing about diarrhea is that it can strike at any time.
Diarrhea is common and not usually a very serious illness.
It could be as a result of:
- Allergies to certain foods.
- Taking foods that upset the digestive system.
You could detect diarrhea by these symptoms:
- Stomach bloating
- Watery stool
- Urgent need to use the toilet.
See ways to aid the treatment for diarrhea
1. Take plenty of water
It is essential to take plenty of water because diarrhea causes loss of body fluids which includes water. And this leads the body to lose electrolytes such as sodium and chloride. Lack of water in the human body system can be dangerous in children and adults. So, it is encouraged that affected persons take enough water to help the healing process.
2. Avoid certain foods
When you are experiencing a runny stomach or recovering from it, you need to avoid foods that are spicy, high in fat, too much sweetness, or even dairy products like milk or yogurt because they could worsen diarrhea in some people.
3. Take foods like Banana and Rice. They are starchy and can help bind foods together to make stools firmer, thereby decreasing the number of stools a person passes. These foods are also high in potassium and magnesium so can replace things lost through diarrhea.
Taking plain rice also helps to absorb fluids that may contain toxins, ease pain and cramps and add bulk to stool.
4. Add ginger to food or drink. The chemicals in ginger may help to reduce diarrhea.
5. Take antibiotics
If your runny stomach is a result of bacteria or a parasite. Then you may need an antibiotic because diarrhea can occur after coming in contact with contaminated food or water.