Honey is said to be a syrupy liquid that honeybees produce from plant nectar. Honey is loved worldwide for its natural sweetness and deep flavor. It can also be used to prepare many dishes. Honey has plenty health benefits and also plays a very vital role in many homes as remedies and alternative medical treatments.
Read also: 8 Advantages of honey to the skin
Below are some of the health benefits of honey:
1. It contains numerous nutrients: Honey contains variety of nutrients ranging from calories to carbs to riboflavin to copper and others. Honey is also a pure sugar with no fat, and it is necessary to note that honey is rich in health-promoting plant compounds known as polyphenols.
2. It is rich in antioxidants: High quality honey is rich in antioxidants such as flavonoids and phenolic acids. These antioxidants help to neutralize Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) in the body, which can build up in cells and cause damage to the body.
3. Although honey increases one’s blood sugar level, the antioxidants present in it help protect the body against metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes. Honey also increases the level of adiponectin in the body. Adiponectin is a hormone that reduces inflammation and also improves the regulation of blood sugar.
4. Honey improves your heart health: It lowers blood pressure, improves your blood fat levels, regulates your heartbeat and also prevents the death of healthy cells in your body system.
5. Honey can be used as treatment for burns and wounds. It is also effective in the treatment of diabetes-related foot ulcers. Honey’s healing powers stem from its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects. Honey also helps in the treatment of other skin conditions such as psoriasis and herpes lesions.
6. Honey helps suppress coughing in children and it also tends to improve sleep quality among children with cough.
7. Honey is also very easy to add to your diet. You can comfortably use it in any way you’d use sugar. It can also be used in cooking and baking.
8. Honey also strengthens the immune system and helps to fight against infections that are caused by viruses, bacteria, and fungi.
9. Honey also moisturises and nourishes the skin. It does not only unclog pores, it also helps moisturize parched skin.
10. The natural antioxidants and therapeutic properties in honey help in boosting the brains’ cholinergic system and circulation and receding cells that cause memory loss.