Sunflower seeds are gotten from the sunflower head of the sunflower plant. The sunflower seed is usually enclosed in a black and white shell. The seeds are white and are tender. Sunflower seed can be eaten raw or roasted and it can be added into other dishes. Sunflower seed is known for its high nutritional value.
Some of the health benefits of sunflower seeds include:
- Consumption of sunflower seeds reduce the risk of developing diseases such as high blood pressure or other heart diseases.
- It contains nutrients that supports your immune system and increase your ability to fight off viruses and also boost your energy level.
- Sunflower seed contains nutrients such as vitamin E, flavonoids, and other compounds that can reduce inflammation. A study has shown that consuming sunflower seeds at least five times a week result in lower levels of inflammation.
- The fiber content of sunflower seeds decreases the levels of LDL cholesterol in the body.
- Due to the presence of strong antioxidants in sunflower seeds, it helps in reducing the risk of cancer. Sunflower seeds also contain beta-sitosterol, a phytosterol which helps to prevent breast cancer. It inhibits the growth of tumor cells and also prevents metastasis.
- Sunflower seeds contain vitamin E, a nutrient known to be extremely beneficial for prenatal care. Sunflower seeds help in the development of the foetus and also a source of nutrient for pregnant women.
- Consumption of sunflower seeds help to keep our skin glowing. It also prevents the formation of scars, help in the formation of collagen and elastin that speeds up wound healing.
- Sunflower seeds help in the treatment of anaemia because it is a good source of iron, thus helping to build up our iron levels.
- They are also a good source of instant energy when consumed.
- Sunflower seeds contain vitamin B6 which improves mood, concentration and enhances memory.
Generally, the health benefits of sunflower seeds can not be over emphasized, so make sunflower seeds a part of your diet today to be in good health condition.