Eyestrain is a common eye condition, though becoming more frequent through the use of digital devices like computers, smartphones, and tablets.
It can even be a result of feeling tired or focusing on an activity like reading a book or driving a car for a long period.
Normally, a human is expected to blink 15-20 times per minute to spread tears over the eyes. But when the eyes are watching or playing on a screen, it limits the number of times they are supposed to blink, there y causing screens to be hard on your eyes.
You can detect eyestrain when you have symptoms like eye fatigue, red eyes, blurred vision, headache, and dry eyes.
Read along to see ways you can avoid eyestrain while working on a digital device.
1. Take breaks
When working for so long on a screen, rest the eyes by taking a break away from your device, you should do this at least every 10 minutes per hour.
2. Adjust lighting
Bright lighting can strain the eyes and make it difficult to see objects on your monitor and can affect your sight when working on a digital device.
- Keep light from shining directly into your eyes.
- Consider turning some overhead lights.
- Use an adjustable desk lamp.
- Dim lights while watching Television.
- Close blinds and shades to reduce lighting from the outside.
- Use a lower intensity bulb.
- Lower the color temperature of your screen to give off less blue light which is linked more to eyestrain.
3. Keep the computer screen about 25 inches away from your face, and the center of your screen should be about 10-15 degrees below the eye.
4. Keep the 20-20-20 rule.
Every 20 minutes look at an object at least 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
5. Put a humidifier in the particular room where you most often use a computer or other device.
A dry or polluted environment and places with fans/air conditioners may cause eyestrain.
6. Use artificial tears to refresh your eyes when they feel dry.
7. Multitask correctly
You may need to work with printed material when working on a computer, or need to refer to notes. While doing such, keep documents in a position where you will not have to keep stretching your eyes, neck, and head too frequently.
8. Get eye exams regularly. You may need a different kind of computerized glasses for digital devices.
Be cautious of your eye health.
Visit newsblenda.com for more updates.