Arthritis is an inflammation of one or more joints, causing pain and stiffness that can worsen age. It is estimated that about 1.5 million case of arthritis is witnessed annually.
Arthritis as chronic as it can be can be managed by:
1. Being weight concious: Your weight can have a big impact on arthritis, being overweight adds more pressure on your joints especially the knee, hip and feet.
Reduction of weight can help in
- Improving mobility
- Decreasing pain
2. Massage: Having regular massage can help soothe pain that results from arthritis. It is believed that massage lowers the body production of stress hormone. It also helps in improving ones mood by boosting serotonin levels.
3. Use of walking aid: The use of walking aid take pressure off the hips and provide additional support to the joint. It can also reduce your risk of falling by helping walking movement, balance and stability.
In using walking aid,
- Use the aid in the non-affected side
- The aid should be about two inches to the front or side if you.
4. Heat and cold therapy: There are two different types but effective. Heat therapy helps in circulation and can sooth stiff joints while cold therapy slows circulation and reduces swelling.
The both therapy can be used in alternation,
Heat therapy can be done by starting the day with a warm bath or shower and by applying warm parrafin wax to aching joints.
Cold therapy can be achieved by submerging affected area in ice water or wrapping abag if ice in a towel and applying it to affected areas.
5. Foods: The consumption of some foods can help in managing arthritis, e.g fatty foods (salmon, mackerel,tuna) the contain high level of omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D.
Leafy vegetables (spinach, broccoli), Nuts (walnut, almond, peanut) the contain high amount of fiber and calcium, magnesium and zinc and also have anti-flammatory effects.
Medical attention should not be ignored during this process, people suffering from arthritis should always keep in touch with their doctor(s).
- Meet three Nollywood celebrities that endorsed BBNaija’s Whitemoney. - August 4, 2021
- Breastfeeding positions for babies. - August 4, 2021
- Ese Brume’s past achievements before winning Nigeria’s first medal at Tokyo Olympics - August 4, 2021