Snoring is a sound that occurs when sleeping as air flow causes the tissue in the back of the throat to vibrate. It is that noisy breath that comes out when a person sleeps.
Regular snoring at night can disrupt the quality of your sleep and can lead to daytime fatigue and increased health problems.
Snoring happens when the breath is blocked during sleep and the air tries to push through the soft tissues, then they cause vibration.
Sometimes what causes people to snore while sleeping is as a result of their
- Age( middle age and beyond).
- Alcohol intake and smoking.
- Sleeping flat on your back.
- Being overweight
See ways to stop snoring:
1. Avoid being overweight
2. Lie in a good position while sleeping. Sleep on your side rather than lying flat on your back.
3. Try to open your nasal passages properly at night.
4. Quit smoking. When you smoke, your chances of snoring are high.
5. Avoid consuming large meals or food that can contain dairy or soymilk before sleeping.
6. Exercise always to help reduce weight.
7. Don’t take muscles relaxants before bedtime.
8. Always change bedsheets, accumulated dust and vaccum can cause snoring while sleeping.
9. Always take hot shower before bed to separate sinuses.
10. Practice good sleep hygiene. Having a poor sleep hygiene can have the same effect as to that of alcohol. When you work for a very long time without getting enough sleep, there is a probability that you will snore while sleeping because you sleep hard and deep and muscles become floppier.
11. Drink plenty of water. When you are dehydrated, secretion in your nose and soft palate becomes thick and can create snoring. Women should take about 11 cups of water daily while men will take about 16 cups of water.