Miscarriage in pregnancy occurs when a foetus is not developing normally, at such can lead to the loss of an unborn baby.
Over 80% of miscarriages happen in the first weeks of pregnancy.
Miscarriages can give signs such as stamping, weight loss, fatigue, contraction and mild-severe back pain.
To prevent the risk of miscarriage in pregnancy, always:
1. Go for checkups
HispitL checkups are necessary especially in the first trimester / first three months of pregnancy. This is crucial and will help the pregnant mother have a relaxed mind, knowing that her baby is safe and it also helps the doctor detect if there is any wrong.
2. Stay away from stress
Stress can prompt unnecessary conditions in the body and can induce pregnancy. a relaxed and all mindful will see to a smooth pregnancy.
3. Eat healthily
During pregnancy, women should be mindful of why they eat. They should eat foods that are rich in vitamins and minerals.
4. Pregnant women should avoid taking caffeine, during pregnancy.
5. Avoid smoking and drinking
The habit of smoking and drinking during pregnancy can affect the baby and increase the risk of complications/miscarriage during pregnancy.
6. Stay physically fit.
7. Maintain food hygiene
Some foodborne diseases can affect pregnancy and increase the risk of miscarriage.
- Wash hands before and after handling foods.
- Wash fresh produce thoroughly
- Refrigerate leftovers promptly to avoid being infected.
8. Take supplements like folic acid
Folic acid reduces the risk of miscarriage. It is present in dark leafy greens and citrus fruits.
9. Avoid environments that may expose you to harmful elements, temperature, radiation or risk of traumatic injury.
10. Eat proteinous foods like
- Dairy products
- Fish and
- Fruit: fruits are the best food to reducing the risk of miscarriage.
Miscarriage can take any form, though the common sign is bleeding. Regular visits to the hospital could help in reducing the risk of miscarriage.