TRUE LIFE STORY:
Someone hacked a company account then reached out to a university student who does crypto exchange to make a living that they wanted to buy BTC.
They transferred a total of N3m over 3 days to the boy (2 accts) & asked him to send the BTC equivalent to a cryto wallet.
A few days later, the bank posted a No Debit Order on the student’s account. On getting to the bank, they asked him to go to the police, he went to the police station, then a couple of hours later they transferred him to police Headquarters in Oyo state. He has been locked up since then.
Before he went to the police, the boy tried to reach out to this random guy (who only communicated with him via whatsapp through the entire deal) but the whatsapp account had been deactivated.
Related: How Hackers Diverted $613 Cryptocurrency Fund.
They laid to track the number but they got a report saying the number can’t be tracked, because it wasn’t registered before they used it to sign up for whatsapp and it never made a call out to anyone.
When they arrived in Ibadan they got to know that the person who bought BTC had hacked a company’s account and stolen a total of N33million+.
Here is the crazy part: The bloody scammer paid for the BTC to the poor student DIRECTLY from the company’s account, thereby leaving no trail. The boy kept all the details of their chats on whatsapp but it looks like that will not be enough to exonerate him.
The poor boy is languishing in a cell right now among hardened criminals. Hes been there for 2days I think.
Now this is the reason im posting this: What do you guys think is the way out for this poor boy?
If you are into crypto exchange, there are rules of the business you don’t mess with, basically because of the nature of crypto.
1. Do not sell crypto to an unconfirmed identity.
2. Do not make 3rd party payments for your suppliers.
3. Do not vouch for unconfirmed identity. Even your sure vendors can fall prey too and put you into trouble. If you have a way, do not vouch for anyone at all.
4. When a deal is too juicy, you need to be more careful. There is no foolish person in crypto!
5. When receiving or making payments, always confirm that the account you are paying or receiving money belongs directly to your vendor/supplier.
6. People into cross-border payments like me have learnt so much trading crypto for Chinese Yuan the hard way!
Meanwhile, Newsblenda previously shared a video of Secondary school students caught knacking in their school uniform (Watch Video)