That question has been lingering on the minds of Camp Nou faithfuls for quite some time, considering the fact that the Frenchman will be away for a very long time due to injury.
With Spanish clubs given the go-ahead to resume training on an individual basis this week, Barcelona squad came back to Sant Joan Despi training ground for the first time since mid-March on Wednesday morning, with one notable absentee. Guess who?
You got it! Ousmane Dembele was not among the team. He’s not even registered with the squad. The 22-year-old winger was unregistered since February after limping out of Barca’s 3-1 defeat at home by Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League last November. And the medical team said he’ll be away for at least six months. Barcelona was forced to make an emergency signing of Martin Braithwaite from Leganes outside the usual transfer window.
That makes Dembele ineligible to feature in the LaLiga until next season, but he can only play for Barca in the Champions League this term.
However, with reports of a potential Camp Nou return of Brazilian star Neymar and Barcelona’s sudden push for Inter Milan’s striker Lautaro Martinez, Dembele could well be heading for the exit.
Dembele is a fantastic talent no doubt, that’s the more why the club has kept him for a long time. But Barcelona may no longer be able to cope with his constant injuries. Unless he speeds up his recovery, his future with the Catalan giants remains uncertain.
- Law Blessing is a skilled writer with loads of experience in the field. Although a freelance Author, he's passionately involved in articles related to sports and entertainment.
- Entertainment2020.10.01Burna Boy mentions few Nigerians he would give his “last blood for”
- Science2020.10.01Watch this amazing video of the second largest fish in the world
- Celebrity2020.10.01Alexx Ekubo surprises his mother with a car gift (Video)
- Celebrity2020.09.30Fans mock Regina Daniels after sharing a picture with her husband and son