Legendary Spain, Real Madrid and Porto goalkeeper Iker Casillas has officially announced his retirement from football after a highly successful 22-year playing career.
The World Cup-winning goalkeeper made the announcement in an emotional post on his Twitter account on Tuesday.
He said: ‘The important thing is the path you travel and the people who accompany you, not the destination to which it takes you.
‘Because that with work and effort, I think I can say, without hesitation, that is has been the path and the dream destination.’
Casillas 39, did not make any competitive appearance since he recovered from a serious heart attack in May 2019.
He decided to hang his boots so as to to take on other positions off the field, like running for the presidency of the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF).
Iker has had a stellar carrier. He joined Real Madrid as a teenager and made 725 appearances for the Blancos – helping them to five La Liga titles and three Champions League crowns.
He also captained Spain to World Cup glory in 2010 and two European Championship titles in 2008 and 2012.
He joined Porto in 2015, and further made 156 appearances with two more title titles.
Watch Iker Casillas best moments below:
View this post on Instagram
⛔ His unstoppable saves. 👐 His supernatural reflexes. ✈️ His legendary take-offs. 🌟 @ikercasillas FOREVER 🌟 • ⛔ Tus paradas imposibles. 👐 Tus reflejos sobrenaturales. ✈️ Tus vuelos de leyenda. 🌟 ETERNO #Casillas 🌟 • #LaLigaHistory #LaLiga #LaLigaSantandee #LaLigaIcons #Grac1as
- Law Blessing is a skilled writer with loads of experience in the field. Although a freelance Author, he's passionately involved in articles related to sports and entertainment.
- Entertainment2020.10.27BBNaija Lockdown housemates celebrate one month after the show with classic photos (See All)
- Celebrity2020.10.27Video: The moment Cardi B raged in front of the police over the arrest of Offset
- Football2020.10.27Meet Chidera Ejuke, the hier to Okocha and Mikel Obi’s throne
- Lifestyle2020.10.26Opinion: When someone uses the expression DEAR, what does it imply?