United made a deadline day move for the Nigerian International in January to help provide them with options up front while Marcos Rashford was away due to injury.
The loan deal the Red Devils struck with Shanghai Shenhua has an expiration date of May ending, with the football season expected to have finished by then.
However, with the season currently on hold and any plans for the campaign to resume still uncertain, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is keen for the club to extend Ighalo’s stay to help them finish the Premier League season.
In a recent tweets, BBC’s Simon Peach, revealed that Manchester United will be asking Shanghai Shenua for an extension for Ighalo to finish the season.
“#MUFC would like to extend Odion Ighalo’s stay at Old Trafford,” he tweeted.
“The striker’s loan deal expires at the end of May but an extension for the rest of the season (assuming it restarts) depends on the situation at Shanghai Shenhua.
“He certainly made a decent impact in a short period.”
The club may also decide to make the 30-year-old’s stay at Old Trafford permanent provided he agrees to take a cut on the huge wages he currently pockets in China.
Ighalo has made an immediate impact in his short stay, scoring four goals in eight appearances for the Red Devils.
- Law Blessing is a skilled writer with loads of experience in the field. Although a freelance Author, he's passionately involved in articles related to sports and entertainment.
- Politics2020.09.20Goodluck Jonathan issues important advice to re-elected Obaseki
- Football2020.09.20Gattuso showers praises on Osimhen after making his debut Serie A appearance
- Football2020.09.20Ekong, Chukwueze, Rasheedat and others model Nigeria’s home and away kits (Photos)
- Football2020.09.20Read what La Liga said about Samuel Chukwueze