In Nigeria, there are Slangs unique to secondary schools, university life, and even regions of the country.
Here are a few Slangs unique to Nigeria street life:
1. Ehen: This could mean ‘I get it’, ‘and so?’, ‘yes’, ‘continue’ depending on the context in which it was used.
2. Jara: Jara is derived from the Yoruba language and it means to add extra.
3. Osha pra pra: This is used when praising another. It is loosely translated to mean ‘you are dope!’
4. Ajebutter: It simply refers to one who is born with a silver spoon.
5. Lekpa/orobo: Lekpa refers to a slim sexy woman while orobo is loosely the opposite of lekpa, that is a sexy thick woman.
6. Ashawo: This is a slang for sex workers. It can also be a derogatory term.
7. Amebo: This is used to refer to a person who likes gossiping or spreading gossip.
8. Abi/shey/ba: They are mostly used for confirmation after s statement, thereby turning it into a question. They are like the English ‘right?’
9. Oversabi: It refers to someone who is a busy-body or mocking someone who over-performs.
10. Kolo: This verb means to go mad or crazy.
Visit Newsblenda.com for more interesting updates.